Direkt zum Hauptbereich

“Because movies and art can be dreamlike” - Interview with Dash Shaw


Interview about the film Cryptozoo

The open-air cinema Rehberge is filling up more and more. The director of the film "Cryptozoo" Dash Shaw is invited on stage to receive the honorable mention for the best feature film from the international jury. After he says a few words about his film and leaves the stage, it gets quiet and the film starts. We walk out of the film with Dash Shaw to ask him a few questions:



fGR (free generation reporter): The whole movie is really incredibly special animated. So first of all, I wanted to ask how was the process of the animation?

Dash Shaw (director): It was first storyboarded. So then the storyboards kind of become the division of labor of how everything is organized. And then there's a casting process of casting different artists to do different backgrounds. Then it kind of becomes a collage process where you're taking different things painted by different people and trying to arranging it to make it. They look different from each other. But you try to have it be cohesive.


fGR: Does the time in which the film takes place, have a special meaning? The time of the 1960s with the Vietnam war and the history of California.

Dash Shaw got a fellowship at the New York Public Library, where a couple of other fellows were researching countercultural newspapers from the 1960s. They had an archive at the library, where they had old free weekly newspapers from 1967 from Brazil and Chicago. Dash goes on to tell how these old magazines inspired him:

I was originally inspired by seeing a bunch of countercultural newspapers from the 1960s. I wasn't around in the 60s. So I only get to know about it through print media, and art made in that time. This newspapers all have this incredible kind of optimism, where a title of the magazine would just be “progress”. There would be all kinds of different local content, but they all had a similar kind of thin line drawing quality, that sort of like almost fantasy art ish. So in the 1960s, before the internet, there was a kind of drawing style attached to an ideology. I think tablet drawing style immediately all over the world kind of associated with politics. So that was exciting. I guess that was kind of the main thing.


fGR: The film is very violent. Why did you choose that? And why was that important to you?

Dash Shaw: I wonder about that, because I'm not a horror movie guy. So when I watch it, I'm a little surprised how violent it is. Also Jane (animator) animated a lot of those key things because she painted the cryptids. And so she's the one who figured out how to animate some of this violence. And she animates quite realistically, even though they're unusual creatures, anyway.
If the beings are somehow allegorical for imagination, or have kind of radical ideas, how do you introduce radical ideas? In my experience, even if it's unusual artwork, when they're put in an exhibit, somehow something about it kills it and these things have to roam free, to be exciting. I definitely didn't wanted it to be a joke and I wanted it to be kind of painful. So I think that's maybe why.
fGR: When did you get the idea for the film? Or a moment when you realized that you wanted to make this film.

Dash Shaw: I draw comics too. So when I heard of the Baku and a dream meeting creature, it seemed like a movie idea and not a comic idea. Because movies and art can be dreamlike. I hadn't seen a Baku in a movie before. So I think that was the moment when I decided to make the movie.


fGR: What was the target audience? Was it planned to be for young people or more for an older generation?

Dash Shaw: I didn't really think about the age very much. There's things about it that are mature and then things about it that are immature. But I know lots of immature older people but also mature younger people.


fGR: How long did the realization of the film take, from the idea to it was finished?

Dash Shaw: I started it in 2016. Finishing around the beginning of 2020. So four or five years.


fGR: How did animation and story come together? Did the story come first? Or did the animation also inspire the story?

Dash Shaw: I'd say the story comes first. And then I'm figuring out how to draw it. I know people who doodle and then they get ideas from the drawing. But I usually write things and then figure out how to draw.


During our interview the sky was already turning dark. We thank him for the interview and go back to the film together, because Dash wants to see how the mood is among the audience during his film. We say goodbye and sit down on our seats and enjoy our first time Berlinale this year with audience.
13.06.2021,  Anna & Henriette

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

Han Nan Xia Ri

HAN NAN XIA RI Sommerflirren Regie Han Shuai Volksrepublik China 2020 Chinesisch UT Englisch • 88 Minuten Produktion Huang Xufeng, Liang Ying Buch Han Shuai Kamera Peter Pan Montage Tom Lin, Dong Jie mit Gong Beibi, Huang Tian, Zhang Xinyuan, Yan Xingyue, Luo Feiyang Do, 10.06.2021, 17:30 Uhr Neue Bühne Hasenheide Fr, 18.06.2021, 21:45 Uhr Freiluftkino Rehberge Wie einen Seismographen schickt die Regisseurin Han Shuai ihre stille Protagonistin durch ihren Debütfilm. Mehr Beobachterin als Beteiligte, wie eingesperrt in vielen Großaufnahmen, registriert die 13-jährige Guo all die Erschütterungen, die das Arbeiter*innenmilieu um sie herum zerbröckeln lassen. Als sie miterleben muss, wie ihr Freund ertrinkt, weiß das Mädchen nicht wohin mit der Trauer, der Schuld - und ihrer Sehnsucht. Die sommerliche Hitze und die Aufdringlichkeit eines Klassenkameraden sind schwer zu ertragen. Das Zirpen der Zikaden durchdringt die Einöde ihres lieblosen Zuhauses am Stadtrand von Wuhan, fer

“Once you leave you can never go back to who you were as a child” - An Interview with The Director Venice Atienza of “Last Days At Sea”

Wednesday morning I was able to talk to the director Venice Atienza whose film “Last Days at Sea” is screening at this year’s Berlinale. Since she is currently based in the Philippines we arranged a Zoom meeting that would take into account the 6 hours of time difference. An inspiring talk emerged that started with her special way of filming and lead to a discussion of vulnerability that is needed for these films. fGR: Would you like to introduce yourself shortly? My name is Venice Atienza. I initially studied cinema, but before that I actually wanted to be a chef. One day, when I was 16 or 17 years old, I was watching a Korean drama and I asked my mother: “What job makes people feel things?” and she replied by asking me “Why don’t you become a film maker?”. After applying for the second time I finally got into film school. I really always knew I wanted to make documentaries but did not know how. A friend of mine then told me about the project Doc Nomads which I got accepted at.

Ein leiser Film mit lauter Botschaft

Eine Kritik zu Una Escuela en Cerro Hueso. Emas Familie fällt auf. Sie ist weiß, aus der Großstadt und auch Ema ist nicht wie die anderen Kinder in der ersten Klasse der neuen Schule. Nur, wer die Filmbeschreibung gelesen hat, weiß: Die sechsjährige Ema hat Autismus . Eine Entwicklungsstörung, die sich oft im sozialen Umgang und in der Kommunikation bemerkbar macht. Dem Publikum bleibt diese Information jedoch vorenthalten, erst am Ende des Films fällt das Wort Autismus. Dadurch gelingt es der Regisseurin Betania Cappato, einen vorurteilslosen Raum zu schaffen, in dem die Zuschauenden den Alltag der kleinen Ema unvoreingenommen erleben können. Una Escuela de Cerro Hueso besteht fast bruchstückhaft aus chronologisch aneinandergereihten Segmenten, stets getrennt durch einige Sekunden schwarzen Screen: Ema im Schulunterricht, Ema zuhause, Emas Eltern. Sie wirken wie assoziative Gedanken, die Cappato aus ihrer eigenen Kindheit erinnert. Denn: Wie am Ende erklärt wird, ist der Film autobi